Cobi Stool by Steelcase
designed by Steelcase Design Studio and Luke Pearson of PearsonLloyd
Meet Cobi, the newest addition to Steelcase's home office and task seating collection.
At A Glance:
The Cobi Chair and Stool are sometimes referred to as being very "Mac-ish," because its design is so similar to the bulky, white Apple monitors of years past. The Cobi Stool, too, has a white outline with bright, bold color on the seat and seat back, and the design of the chair makes it appear to be unfolding, the way a laptop might. It's also quite small and slight.
What's To Like:
The smallness of the stool and the complete lack of bulk or clutter when it comes to adjustments, armrests, and features, make it very freeing. The stool was designed so that you could constantly shift positions without getting uncomfortable. The open design of the chair combined with the bright, light-hued color makes the stool so fresh you may want to slap it.
The Bottom Line:
It's high gloss, high fun, high color and style, and it's meant to embrace movement. This is not a work-ten-hour-days chair, or a one-size-fits-all heavy duty work chair. It's the fun, fresh Cobi.
Standard Cobi Stool features include:
- Flexing top edge: The Cobi stool allows users to rest their heads, arms, backs, even legs on top of the stool, supporting a variety of postures. The flexing edge takes pressure off the back, shoulders and limbs that use it for support, as well as increases circulation. Cobi makes you more comfortable, looser and more free to move as you please.
- Flexing back: Provides comfort and support for users. The Cobi also conforms and contours to the shape and pressure of your back and shoulders.
- Flexing seat: Encourages users to move and shift, and allows for any variety of postures. Whether you're laid back or posture-perfect, Cobi works for you.
- Weight-activated mechanism: Sensing your center of gravity, the Cobi adjusts to the position that will put the least amount of stress on the back, shoulders and legs, while still keeping you properly oriented and supported.
- Adjustable Seat height: Cobi accommodates different heights and leg lengths. To raise or lower the Cobi stool, just pull the lever up.
- Adjustable Foot Ring
Raise or lower the foot ring height up to 4 inches.
Choose from a wide variety of configurations, from a large selection of upholstery colors and base and frame finishes, arms or no arms - Cobi fits virtually any work style and any space.
The Cobi Stool is also known by the following manufacturer item numbers: 434710, 434711.
Powder-coated steel, glass-reinforced nylon, polypropylene and 100-percent polyester fabric
Overall: 40"-50" h x 24.75" w x 23.25" d
Seat Pan Angle: 0.5 percent
Seat-to-back Angle: 97 percent to 104 percent
Seat Height from Floor: 21" - 31"
Seat Depth: 19.5"
Functional Seat Depth: 17 7/8"
Seat Width: 18.75"
Back Height from Seat: 19.5"
Back Width: 18"
Back Lumbar Height: 9 3/8"
Arm Height from Seat: 9"
Arm to floor: 30" - 39 1/2"
Width between Arms: 18 7/8"
Weight tested up to 300 lbs. with no loss of performance
For the Cobi Stool's plastic and painted parts, clean using a mild household cleaner (like Fantastic or 409) and wipe with a soft, dry cloth. For Cobi's Connect fabric, use a vacuum cleaner for regular cleaning. Do not steam clean. Most stains can be removed by applying a mild soap to a slightly damp cloth, then rubbing it gently over the stain. Wipe dry.
- Collaboration takes time. Cobi would need to be an adaptable, flexible chair for long periods of sitting.
- People don't adjust their chairs in collaborative settings. When you're listening to a presentation or putting heads together over a tough problem, adjusting your chair is the last thing on your mind. Luckily Cobi has taken care of that issue by being intuitive and responding automatically to all kinds of pressure and varieties of gravitational centers.
- People change postures frequently while collaborating. Nervous energy, the flow of ideas, and the long hours make meetings prime-time for shifting and re-adjusting the position of your body. The Cobi chair is designed to handle that very thing.
- The Cobi chair should promote movement and be comfortable for long periods of time.
- Adjustments to Cobi should be automatic and intuitive.
- Cobi should support multiple postures.
The Cobi chair is a rousing success on all three fronts.
The Cobi chair encourages movement and supports and contours to a variety of postures. With only one adjustment (seat height), and a mechanism that's weight activated and senses and supports your own center of gravity, anyone can get comfortable quickly.
In addition to the features already listed, the Cobi chair has a wide range of options:
- Stool version available (with and without arms)
- Armless chair available
- Four finish colors: black, near black, platinum and arctic white
- Optional sewn seat cushion to accommodate various fabric, leather and vinyl options.
- Seat is available with Steelcase and Designtex fabric, leather, or vinyl - as well as customer's own material, customer's own leather, or customer's own vinyl.
- Connect 3D material is standard on the chair back with matching Cogent: Connect seat, or with a seat upholstery of your choice.