Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair
by Charles and Ray Eames
The Eames Lounge Chair® is considered among the most significant and collectible furniture designs of the 20th century. Designed and built by the genius duo of Charles and Ray Eames, sat in and admired by countless (and comfortable) people over the years, this is the ultimate lounge chair. The rich veneer and supple leather suggest old-fashioned luxury translated into modern forms, setting an enduring standard for comfort and elegance.
The chair has been on display for decades at museums like the Art Institute of Chicago, and New York's Museum of Modern Art, and the reams of scholarly, critical, and fan writing and correspondence is enormous. It's truly one of the most famous and well-respected chairs ever built, and now it can be yours through Smart Furniture and Herman Miller (Herman Miller secured the rights to sell Eames furniture, and there isn't a more fine or trustworthy furniture company out there).
The matching Eames Ottoman can be purchased individually here.
The Eames Lounge Chair is molded by three curved plywood shells. The shells are made with several thin layers of wood veneer adhered together and shaped under heat and pressure. The plywood and cushions are the shaped the same (i.e., composed of two curved forms interlocking to form a solid mass). The head rest and back of the Eames Lounger are proportional.
- Environmentally Sound. The wood is harvested exclusively from sustainably managed forests. Additionally, much of the chair was constructed using recycled materials, and about a third of the product is itself recyclable. However, it's unlikely you'll ever recycle the chair; it's a ready-made heirloom, designed to be passed on and on and on for as long as possible, just like that well worn baseball mitt.
- Classic Comfort. Luxurious Feel. The chair has 6-inch-thick urethane foam cushions and rich leather upholstery. The effect is luxury without pretension or ostentation, and deep comfort and relaxation without resorting to the overstuffed or bulky. The chair is classically built to serve a strong purpose well, and to go no further than elegance allows when it comes to bells and whistles.
- A Place to Relax. The contours of the seat and high back welcome the sitter, and a swivel mechanism is built in. This is a chair that fits practically anywhere in your home, from the living room to the office. It's sturdy and comfortable, made for all ages, and serves as a mini-retreat from a harried life. The inspiration for the chair came from director Billy Wilder, who used to rig up lounges for brief naps while he was filming. A refuge from the storm was what he needed, and the Eames provided with the Eames Lounge Chair.
- Quality and Craftsmanship. Attention to Detail. All pieces are hand assembled. Shells are seven-ply cherry, natural cherry, walnut, or santos palisander veneer; the base and back braces are die-cast aluminum. The designers at Herman Miller are the best in the world, unparalleled in experience and quality, and the Eames Lounge Chair, exactingly built just as it was half a century ago, is just one more feather in their cap.
- Practical Features. Cushions are individually upholstered and replaceable; back cushions are interchangeable; shock mounts are resilient natural rubber.
The Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Numbers: ES670, ES671, ES67071.
About the Manufacturer
Lounge Chair: 32" h x 32.75" w x 32.75" d
- Stock Leather
Chromium free and from Austria this stock Herman Miller leather is a winner for most. With a matte, soft feel this is the most popular leather used on Herman Miller upholstered items.
- Prone Leather
Prone is a premium full-grain leather from Maharam, produced in a boutique tannery in Northern Italy. Prone is minimally finished to highlight the natural beauty of leather and the inherent quality of superior raw materials. The texture of the grain offers a supple hand, while a light silicone finish lends protection against wear.
Select from Standard 2100 Series Leather or Premium Full Grain Prone Leather. And be sure to visit our Herman Miller swatch page for an even greater selection of fabrics and leathers!
Standard 2100 Leather
Looking for an artful balance between preserving the leather’s natural grain and achieving a more consistent color? The best-selling 2100 Series Leather is the best of both worlds. This popular semi-aniline dyed leather is made to be loved and looks better and better as it wears with age.
Prone is a premium full-grain leather from Maharam, produced in a boutique tannery in Northern Italy. Prone is minimally finished to highlight the natural beauty of leather and the inherent quality of superior raw materials. The texture of the grain offers a supple hand, while a light silicone finish lends protection against wear. Prone is GREENGUARD Gold Certified.