Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair, Dowel Leg Base
from Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance: The Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair with Dowel Leg Base is a bigger, more comfortable version of the landmark Molded Fiberglass Side Chair. While you've often seen the side chair in school rooms and auditoriums, the armchair is a bit more substantial and supportive. Using a new process for creating fiberglass without the harmful glues of the past, Herman Miller has returned the Shell Chairs to their heritage. The Eames' would be pleased.
What's To Like:
- Fiberglass is back, and we're glad. Its unique texture and surface striations make the Shell Chairs one of Herman Miller's all-time hits. It's about time they figured out an environmentally responsible way to manufacture them!
- Classic design. The Molded Fiberglass Armchair is recognizable anytime, anyplace - for good reason.
- The Shell Chairs - all of them - were among the first to have comfort as a priority during the design process. Waterfall seat edges and a curvy seat pocket give this chair an easygoing sit.
The Bottom Line:
Original design, original comfort, original character. The Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair's got them in spades. With all the new colors in Herman Miller's Palette, you'll have a great time choosing what vibe you want your armchair to create.
Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. These molded fiberglass armchairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Their enduring forms and quality construction make them comfortable, durable performers.
31.875" h x 25" w x 22.625" d
See the entire Eames Shell Chair Collection.
- Organic shapes. A clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body; first presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948.
- Popular today. The chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design.
- Friendly to the earth. This chair's shell is made with a new process that produces monomer-free "dry-bind" fiberglass.
- Should you ever need to recycle your chair, it is eligible for Herman Miller's "Take Back" Program - an environmentally sound recycling option.
- Integral color. The fiberglass shell of the DFAW Armchair is dyed throughout so colors remain vibrant even after years of hard use.
- Cushioned contact. For extended comfort, the shell is connected to the base by rubber shock mounts.
- Glide options. The standard glide is also available with felt to protect hard-surface floors.
The Herman Miller Molded Fiberglass Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DFAW.
Molded fiberglass frame with wooden legs and metal connecting rods
Overall: 31.875" h x 25" w x 22.625" d
Seat height: 17.5"