Herman Miller Eames Storage Unit, 2 x 2 with Doors
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance:
The Eames Storage Unit is true to the inventive originals introduced in 1950. Designed as both storage place and display cabinet, it is a striking example of how Charles and Ray Eames extended the boundaries of design to create a new modern aesthetic for the office and home. Long before "modularity" and "high tech" entered the design lexicon, Charles and Ray Eames were using industrial production techniques to provide ample storage, work, and display space. Available in Vibrant or Neutral color scheme.
What's To Like:
Variety! Storage cabinets are commonly boring as all get out, just straight lines and monochromatic laminate. The Eames Storage Unit melts those constraints away with formed plywood cabinet doors, hardwood sides, color panels, crossed wire, and the steel structure that holds the whole shelving unit together. Love it.
What's Not To Like:
Well, the cost is high, if you're only shopping for a storage unit. However, if you're shopping for an icon, a beloved feature of your home, or an immortal design, The price tag for the Eames Storage Unit is totally justifiable.
The Bottom Line:
The Eames Storage Unit does the dirty work of storage without ever breaking a sweat, and its beautiful, mid-century modern design is simply brilliant. Its lines remind us of some of the homes that Charles Eames designed, and the light that its open sides allows through give it a quality few storage units have - spaciousness.
- Overall: 32.5" h x 47" w x 16" d
- Birch veneer
- Tops and cabinet fronts have a clear finish; shelves have a black stain
- Uprights, cross-supports, and perforated panels are zinc-coated steel
- Shelves are smooth plywood
- Side panels are painted hardboard
- Storage unit cabinet fronts are plywood, molded to form round dimples
- Feet have nylon glides
- Storage units are composed of cases, cabinets, and drawers in five configurations and four sizes
- Each configuration is offered in two color schemes: neutrals or brights
- Other Storage Unit configurations available:
View 1x1 Storage Unit
View 1x2 Storage Unit
View 2x2 Storage Unit
View 4x2 Storage Unit
If you'd like more information, why not read our independently conducted review of the Eames Desk and Storage Units?
The Herman Miller Eames Storage Unit, 2 x 2 with Doors is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: ESU230.
Uprights, cross-supports, and perforated panels are zinc-coated steel; drawer fronts and shelves are smooth plywood; side panels are painted hardboard; storage unit cabinet fronts are plywood molded to form round dimples. Nylon foot glides are easy on floors.
Overall: 32.5" h x 47" w x 16" d
The Eames Storage Unit is a partner piece to the Eames Desk. However, it stands alone as an icon of design and utility in itself. This is a quality much of the Charles and Ray Eames oeuvre shares, that of individual parts, excellently designed in and of themselves, able to come together to form and equally attractive whole. The storage unit on its own is beautiful, and the same goes for the desk; but together, the create a harmony and a more expansive sense of designed space. They are, in a phrase, perfect mates - complimentary in many ways, different enough to stand on their own. They share the same sense of play, the same sense of mixed material and vibrant color, and the same sense of stylization. They're simple, direct, elegant, and they get the job done, aesthetically as well as functionally.
The materials in the Eames Storage Unit are similar to the ones used in the desk. Charles and Ray used the same colored panels (or the same colored panel concept) as they did with the desk. However, they did add several panels that aren't brightly colored, and instead show their difference through patterns and engraved shapes. The overall look is somewhat grander than the desk, a larger canvas, but with many of the same ideas and a few new ones to give this storage unit its own flavor and sense of self.
The sizes of the desk and the storage unit are different, as is the construction. With an Eames Storage Unit, several storage options are available for the user. There are drawers, cabinets, and large open spaces for display or storage. Part of the charm of the set is how it defies conventional or singular use; it's a multipurpose work of interior design, and it's at home not only as a storage cabinet, but also as a piece of art, a book shelf, a display shelf, or a serious filing system. You could easily outfit your storage unit with The options available in the literal storage compartments withing the piece are reflected in the options available to the user for the piece; it can be used in almost any way, in any space, in any home.
Of course, the similarity to the Eames Desk makes the Eames Storage Unit perfect as a furniture mate to the desk. When put together, the two pieces create a stunning and unified effect. Many offices, both home and corporate, have seen the addition of the Eames furniture to their space improve it's look, feel, and functionality. And that's all this furniture was ever meant to do; improve your space, improve your work, and improve, in whatever small way, your life.
Eames Storage Unit comes in several different sizes, so it can fit in any space. Even the smallest storage unit brings a splash of color and much needed functionality to the home or corporate office. The sizes are as follows:
- The 1x1 storage unit retains the color and vibrancy of the full piece, but not all of the space. Essentially a doorless cabinet, this unit is great for offices that just need a bit of design flair, not a full system.
- The 1x2 storage unit goes wider than the 1x1, and belongs on the floor equally as much as on a desk or table. You stack things within and on top, and you get all the design aspects of the full piece.
- The great thing about the 2x2 is that there are two different versions; one with doors that can cover the lower half of the system, and one without, to expose four cells all capable of storage and aesthetic prominence.
- The 4x2 Eames Storage Unit is the full version of the system, with all the attendant surfaces, drawers, and cabinet spaces. This is the version that gives you the most options, both aesthetic and functional.
In all, both the Eames Desk and the Eames Storage Unit are worthy and beautiful additions to Herman Miller's impeccable roster of home office furniture and design.