Herman Miller Eames Tall Lounge Chair and Ottoman
by Charles and Ray Eames®
Want yours now? Shop our in-stock page here.
The Eames® Tall Lounge Chair is an extended version of probably the most famous mass produced piece of American furniture, The Eames Lounge Chair. Designed and built by the genius duo of Charles and Ray Eames, sat in and admired by countless (and comfortable) people over the years, this is the ultimate lounge chair.
Featuring an overall height that is 2 ½" higher (the seat height is the same) and a seat depth that is 1 ¾" greater, the Tall Eames Lounge is a friendly resting place. Americans were much smaller in the 50s than we are today, so this size update is welcome. Best of all? The expanded size (and expanded comfort) comes with no additional cost.
The rich leather, the elegant and groundbreaking molded plywood shell, the intense comfort, and the beautiful ottoman. Not to mention the historic nature of the chair and the design, and the cultural cachet of the Eames name. No modern recliner is more comfortable, and no piece of furniture is more beautiful or more justly famous. This is the Emperor of all lounge chairs.
Now the best lounge chair ever designed is a fit for those of us who aren't the size of Keebler Elves. The Eames Tall Lounge Chair carries the same Herman Miller warranty, is built with the same exacting care, and is still the best lounge chair for your home. This is the absolute creme de la creme, made by the greatest design team of all time, produced by the best furniture company in America.
The classic Eames Lounge Chair has been on display for decades at museums like the Art Institute of Chicago and New York's Museum of Modern Art. It's one of the most famous and well-respected chairs ever built, and now it can be yours.
The Herman Miller Eames Tall Lounge Chair and Ottoman is also known by the following manufacturer Item Numbers: ES67071T. If you're looking for the classic Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman, you can find it here.
- Choose contract-grade or our MCL Leather, which possesses a striking balance among softness, durability, and color-fastness. MCL Leather is a premium, semi-aniline, dyed leather with 100 percent natural full grain. Color variations and surface marks are an inherent characteristic of this material, which will acquire wrinkles and creases and develop a rich patina over time.
- An oiled finish is available for walnut and santos palisander veneers. It closely matches the look and feel of the finish used on the original rosewood chair, and will need to be maintained with periodic hand oiling. You can also choose the standard, high-performance lacquered plywood shell in all four wood veneers. The lacquered finish requires nothing more than dusting.
- The cushions will not flatten or clump over time. As Charles Eames described them, “The leather cushions do have built-in wrinkles to start with, but that is a clue that spells comfort to come, like the warm, receptive look of a well-used first baseman's mitt.” Each hide used for the cushions possesses variations that are a natural occurrence in leather, and each will age to reveal its own unique personality.
- The seat is permanently tilted to take the weight off your lower spine and distribute it properly to the back of the chair. The lower cushion piece supports your lower back, so you feel relaxed. The angle supports your chest so that you can be comfortable as you read, watch a movie, or have a conversation.
- The ottoman also provides a health benefit. Most of us sit or stand all day, so blood collects in the lower extremities. Resting your feet on the ottoman helps restore normal blood circulation.
- Seven-ply walnut, santos palisander, white ash or ebonized ash veneer shells
- Molded plywood internal frames
- Die-cast aluminum back brace and swivel base on chair, stationary base on ottoman
- Polyurethane foam cushions
- Stainless-steel leveling floor glides
Overall: 34.5" h x 32.75" w x 34.5" d
Seat Height: 15.25"
Ottoman: 17.25" h x 26" w x 21.5" d
Assembly Required: No
When it comes to iconic furniture, the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman stands alone. Designed by Charles and Ray Eames and revealed to the public on national television in 1956, furniture enthusiasts have continued to flock to the Eames Lounge's clean lines, supple leather, and smooth veneers for the past six decades. Owning an Eames Lounge means more than just having a chair to sit in; it's owning a piece of history. To prove it, the Eames Lounge is on permanent display at the Modern Museum of Art in New York and the Art Institute of Chicago.
Despite its prodigious popularity, one complaint has beleaguered the Eames Lounge, especially in the last few years: its smaller size. While perfect for people between 5'2" and 5'10"—much more common in the 1950s than today—anyone taller will find the original size a bit lacking. The problem resides in the seat depth and backrest height—it just doesn't accommodate rangier people. Herman Miller was able to identify the problem, and as a solution, they developed the Eames Tall Lounge and Ottoman. This new model has all of the same sinuous curves and plush cushions as the original Eames Lounge except with a deeper seat and taller headrest. Sometimes, in the course of human history, it's necessary to improve on good designs. Now anyone can reap the comfort and aesthetic benefits that the Eames Lounge provides by purchasing the Eames Tall Lounge Chair and Ottoman!
For more care and maintenance instructions please use the care and maintenance link that will take you directly to the Herman Miller Website.
LEVEL Certified and Indoor Advantage Certified. LEVEL® by BIFMA is an evaluation and certification system for environmentally preferable and socially responsible office furniture. The LEVEL program has three performance tiers: LEVEL 1, 2, and 3. The higher the number, the more criteria considered and met across 4 key areas: materials, environmental impact, human health, and social responsibility. Indoor Advantage Gold certification is SCS Global Services’ highest level of indoor air quality performance for furniture. The certification assures that furniture products support a healthy indoor environment by meeting strict chemical emission limits for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Herman Miller Warranty
This warranty is a promise that lives up to the highest standards in the industry. If for some reason the product fails to live up to this standard, Herman Miller will ship and repair it at no cost to you. To learn more read the Herman Miller Warranty.
Select from Standard 2100 Series Leather or Premium Full Grain Prone Leather. And be sure to visit our Herman Miller swatch page for an even greater selection of fabrics and leathers!
Standard 2100 Leather
Looking for an artful balance between preserving the leather’s natural grain and achieving a more consistent color? The best-selling 2100 Series Leather is the best of both worlds. This popular semi-aniline dyed leather is made to be loved and looks better and better as it wears with age.
Prone is a premium full-grain leather from Maharam, produced in a boutique tannery in Northern Italy. Prone is minimally finished to highlight the natural beauty of leather and the inherent quality of superior raw materials. The texture of the grain offers a supple hand, while a light silicone finish lends protection against wear. Prone is GREENGUARD Gold Certified.