Eames Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair, Wire Base
from Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance: The Eames Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair with Wire Base is an iconic piece of American design history. While you've often seen the side chair in school rooms and auditoriums, the Eiffel-Tower base version is in its element in the home. Mid-century authenticity has never been more accessible - or comfortable with upholstery. Using a new process for creating fiberglass without the harmful glues of the past, Herman Miller has returned the Shell Chairs to their heritage. The Eames' would be pleased.
What's To Like:
- Fiberglass is back, and we're glad. Its unique texture and surface striations make the Shell Chairs one of Herman Miller's all-time hits. It's about time they figured out an environmentally responsible way to manufacture them!
- Classic design. The Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair is recognizable anytime, anyplace - for good reason.
- Intricate, architectural wire Eiffel Tower base. The base this chair sits upon is one of our favorites for its striking quality.
- The Shell Chairs - all of them - were among the first to have comfort as a priority during the design process. Waterfall seat edges and a curvy seat pocket give this chair an easygoing sit.
What's Not to Like:
- There is practically no give in the molded fiberglass, so attempting to use this chair as a recliner wouldn't be a good idea.
The Bottom Line:
Original design, original comfort, original character. The Eames Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair's got them in spades. With all the new fiberglass and upholstery colors in Herman Miller's Palette, you'll have a great time choosing what vibe you want your chair to create.
Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. These molded fiberglass side chairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Their enduring forms and quality construction make them comfortable, durable performers.
31.375" h x 19" w x 23.75" d
See the entire Eames Shell Chair Collection.
- Organic shapes. A clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body; first presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948.
- Popular today. The chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design.
- Friendly to the earth. This chair's shell is made with a new process that produces monomer-free "dry-bind" fiberglass.
- Should you ever need to recycle your chair, it is eligible for Herman Miller's "Take Back" Program - an environmentally sound recycling option.
- Integral color. The fiberglass shell of the DFSR Side Chair is dyed throughout so colors remain vibrant even after years of hard use.
- Cushioned contact. For extended comfort, the shell is connected to the base by rubber shock mounts.
- Upholstered comfort. You're sitting in style for the long haul - bring on those multiple course meals.
- Glide options. The standard glide is also available with felt to protect hard-surface floors.
The Herman Miller Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DFSR.U.
Molded fiberglass frame with fabric upholstery, metal legs and metal connecting rods
Overall: 31.375" h x 19" w x 23.75" d
Seat height: 17.625"