Eames Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair, Wire Base
from Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
The Eames Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair with Wire Base is an iconic piece of American design history. While you've often seen the side chair in school rooms and auditoriums, it is in its element in the home. Mid-century authenticity has never been more accessible - or comfortable. Exemplifying their mantra of "the best for the most for the least," this side chair boasts a minimalist design and smooth curves that are the perfect compliment to the welded wire base, often referred to as the "Eiffel Tower" base.
Since 1950, Herman Miller has continuously improved on the original Eames Molded Plastic Shell Chairs with the latest material innovation. Now the classic shell is engineered with 100% post-industrial recycled plastic, helping save approximately 122 tons of plastic waste per year.
What's To Like:
- Classic design. The Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair is recognizable anytime, anyplace - for good reason.
- Sustainable and durable, shells are made with post-industrial recycled plastic.
- Intricate, architectural wire Eiffel Tower base. The base this chair sits upon is one of our favorites for its striking quality.
- The Shell Chairs - all of them - were among the first to have comfort as a priority during the design process. Waterfall seat edges and a curvy seat pocket give this chair an easygoing sit.
Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. These molded plastic side chairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Their enduring forms and quality construction make them comfortable, durable performers.
See the entire Eames Shell Chair Collection.
Molded plastic frame with fabric upholstery, metal legs and metal connecting rods
Overall: 31.5" h x 18.75" w x 21.5" d
Seat height: 17.25"
- Organic shapes. A clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body; first presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948.
- Popular today. The chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design.
- Should you ever need to recycle your chair, it is eligible for Herman Miller's "Take Back" Program - an environmentally sound recycling option.
- Cushioned contact. For extended comfort, the shell is connected to the base by rubber shock mounts.
- Upholstered comfort. You're sitting in style for the long haul - bring on those multiple course meals.
- Glide options. The standard glide is also available with felt to protect hard-surface floors.
The Herman Miller Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DSR.U.
Herman Miller Warranty
This warranty is a promise that lives up to the highest standards in the industry. If for some reason the product fails to live up to this standard, Herman Miller will ship and repair it at no cost to you. To learn more read the Herman Miller Warranty.