Generation Chair by Knoll®
With its singular vision, Generation by Knoll changed everything, offering the kind of freedom that can’t help but move you. Combining holistic ergonomics and unparalleled elastic design, Generation pioneered work chair innovation that remains essential today.
- Frameless Flex Back - The Flex Back fuses two innovative elements — the high performance elastomer Flex Back Net and a distinctive figure 8 structure — which together support many different postures and allow for multidimensional movement throughout the workday. The curvature of the figure 8 structure combined with the specific tension, pattern and unique properties of the Net enables side-to-side flex and ensures optimal localized support for shoulders and lumbar region.
- Dynamic Suspension - Constructed from the same high performance elastomer as the Flex Back Net, the simple, non-mechanical Dynamic Suspension provides a weight-compensated, smooth ride — without the complexity of metal links or springs. The inherent properties of this material — flex and durability — enable an enhanced range of energizing, side-to-side movements.
- Continuous Lumbar -The Continuous Lumbar carries the lumbar support in the Flex Back through the design of the arms. The result: seamless movement from upright to perched or side sitting positions. Optional lumbar is also available.
- Flex Top - The Flex Top allows the top edge of the back to fold over, providing a comfortable armrest for side sitting or other informal postures, extending your range of movement and offering comfort in any position.
In a world of prescriptive chairs with lots of adjustments, Generation has you covered with intuitive movement that takes the work out of sitting—so you can sit and get to work.
- Flex Seat offers 270 degrees of unobstructed seat edge flex with a buoyant two-piece cushion and nest structure
- Tilt Preference Selector offers three ranges of recline movement
- This chair has been tested and is approved for use by individuals weighing up to 300 pounds
- This chair is warranted for 12 years, 24-hour, 7 days a week, multi shift use
- Ships fully assembled
- Certified Clean Air GOLD
Materials: Fabric, Mesh, Plastic, Metal
|Overall Height||39.25" - 44.5"|
|Seat Height from Floor||16.5" - 21.75"|
Designed by Formway Design
By watching hundreds of hours of video and conducting in-depth interviews with workers of all ages, in all disciplines, Knoll and Formway Design recognized that the basic assumption about office seating — that there are only a few optimal ways to sit while at work — was flawed.
In fact, their investigation showed that sitting upright and facing forward was just one of the ways people use their office chairs. Shifting, stretching, rotating, leaning, and reclining not only relieve boredom but are essential to our ability to stay energized and collaborate with colleagues.
Understanding that no combination of adjustment levers could make a chair equally comfortable in each of those positions, Formway sought to achieve an elastic design—the idea that a product would rearrange itself in response to a user’s movements. After years of design and development, spent considering and reconsidering every component of the chair, Formway arrived at a truly innovative design.
Knoll uses modern design to connect people to their work, their lives, their world. Since 1938, Knoll has been recognized internationally for creating workplace and residential furnishings that inspire, evolve, and endure. Today, our commitment to modern design, understanding of the workplace, and dedication to sustainable design have yielded a unique portfolio of products that respond and adapt to changing needs. Here is our story.
For more than 80 years Knoll has remained true to the Bauhaus design philosophy that modern furniture should complement architectural space, not compete with it. At Knoll, modern design has been our guiding principle, and our passion has been shared by customers and design professionals worldwide.
Care & Maintenance
With regular care and maintenance, your Knoll product will provide many years of superior performance and satisfaction. Vacuum fabric as needed, using an upholstery attachment. Do not brush fabric or use a vacuum attachment with a rotary brush. Do not use steam. For fabric stains, use a water-based cleaner (specifically made for cleaning fabric) or a solution of mild (alkaline) warm soapy water (not overly soapy) applied with a damp clean cloth or sponge. If leather is soiled, it can be wiped with a soft damp cloth using a lather of any mild soap with lukewarm water. Do not spot clean leather; clean the entire surface.
Seller warrants to the original Purchaser only that the Products Seller manufactures and sells to Purchaser are free of defects in workmanship and materials, during the applicable warranty period set forth below.
Warranty period set forth below is for 24-hour, 7 days a week, multi shift use (includes parts and labor to repair).
This warranty does not apply to:
- Normal wear and tear or acts or omissions of parties other than Seller (including user modification, improper use or installation of Products).
- COM or other third party materials applied to Products.
- Products not installed by or under the auspices of a Knoll Dealer, or Knoll’s white glove agent network.
- Dramatic temperature variations or exposure to unusual conditions.
- Changes in surface finishes, including colorfastness due to aging or exposure to light.
- Except as specifically noted above, textiles and upholstery supplied by KnollTextiles (consult current KnollTextiles price list for applicable warranty).
- Natural variations occurring in wood, marble, and leather shall not be considered defects, and the Seller does not guarantee the colorfastness or matching of the colors, grains or textures, or surface hardness of such materials. The Seller also does not guarantee the colorfastness of fiberglass panel surfaces.
An Official Knoll Retailer
We're an authorized Knoll retailer. This means we're official. We sell new factory-direct chairs complete with Knoll's own 12-year warranty. You can purchase confidently from Smart Furniture knowing you'll be receiving genuine Knoll product.
- B–Medium Chair Size
Recommended if you are:
Height: 5’2” - 6’6” tall
Weight: 130 - 325 lb
- C–Large Chair Size
Recommended if you are:
Height: 5’3” - 6’6” tall
Weight: 180 - 350 lb
- Basic Back Support
Zonal Back Support is provided by the 8Z Pellicle material in the backrest.
- Adjustable PostureFit SL
SL refers to the sacral/lumbar region of the spine, or the base of the spine up to the midback. Two individual pads flex independently; the top pad supports your lumbar, the bottom stabilizes your sacrum. System can be adjusted to fit the curve of your spine.
Meld enlists a tight basketweave of luminous yarns to produce a flickering surface with light and dark variation. Offering the look and feel of wool, Meld is constructed primarily of post-consumer recycled polyester.
Woven in Italy, Luce has a rich palette derived from the postconsumer recycled wool of repurposed garments sourced throughout Europe. An offset twill weave lends grain to the surface, highlighting the depth of Luce’s heathered yarns.
- Stow Leather
Guided by the Maharam Design Studio’s material expertise and sourced at a boutique tannery in Northern Italy, Stow celebrates the inherent beauty of leather returned to a more natural state. Stow’s compact profile and soft hand eases upholster-ability while a protective topcoat provides additional resistance to staining.
- Carpet Casters
Designed for use on low-to-medium pile carpet, such as commercial or Berber, this 2.5-inch diameter caster has wheels of durable black nylon.
- Hard Floor Casters
Designed to be used on hard surfaces such as wood, ceramic tile, vinyl tile, or carpeted floors.